Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Early Years

Vicki Le'Ann Little

Born January 21, 1960

6 lbs, 13 oz., 19 inches


I was born into what appeared to be the average American family. My dad was 29 years old and my mom was 21. They had been married for three and a half years. Where today, my mom's age would be considered young, in 1960 it was pretty typical. My older brother was two and a half years old. My father worked as an Engineer for General Dynamics, and my mom was a stay at home mom. My father was still in college when my brother was born, and they had only been married for 10 and a half months. The timing of his birth was not optimal, nor planned. My birth was planned and anticipated. They were at a different stage of life and were ready for baby number two. My mother told me that my father really wanted a little girl. Their plans were to only have two children, so a boy and a girl were the ideal in their minds. We were an upper middle class family with many privileges that accompanied financial security. At this point in time, there was every indication that my future would be good and that I would be at an advantage from a developmental standpoint.

No comments: